Power Query: your tool to automate lists!
You often have to re-edit the data you enter into PowerPivot: splitting up the text into different columns, converting text to upper case, adding extra columns with certain calculations, filling up blank cells and much more.
This means that you can’t use certain sources straight away, because you first need to delete unnecessary information. Or because that information has a different layout. With the aid of Power Query you can get round these problems without difficulty. You input the data, define what is to be done and then enter the optimised data, in Excel, or in the PowerPivot data model. And this without programming in VBA!
After this Power Query training you will be able to:
- Input different data sources in Power Query
- ‘Mould’ data so that it is ready to be analysed
- Enter data in Excel or in the PowerPivot data model
Anyone who ends up having to re-edit data before it can be used in Excel or in PowerPivot .
A solid knowledge of Excel is required. Knowledge of PowerPivot is not required.
Part 1 Power Query
- Why use Power Query instead of functions in Excel?
Part 2 Importing data
- Importing tables contained in the Excel file
- Getting external data (Excel, txt, csv, all files in a folder, SQL…)
- Data source settings (Storing login data from previous connections)
Part 3 Uploading data
- To a table on a worksheet
- To Power Pivot
- Not uploading Queries
Part 4 Transforming data
- Converting (US/European format, changing data types, deduplicating, deleting records, filtering, aggregations, blank cells, UnPivot…)
- Adding columns (Predefined options in the menu, letting Power Query decide based on examples, entering calculations yourself)
- Extending queries with data from other queries (cfr: Vlookup/Xlookup)
- Comparing queries with each other (What is common? What is only in query 1 and not in query 2? …)
- Merging similar queries (placing below each other)
Part 5 M
- Introduction to the M formula language to write even more powerful queries
Request a quote
"*" indicates required fields