With the Hero web part, you can make your SharePoint site look even more appealing and draw attention to certain parts of it. It’s a standard component of communication sites, but you can add it to other pages as well.
What can you do with Hero? You can make up to five items stand out with attractive images, text and links. In this blog post, we’ll explain how you can add and customise Hero.
Please note: To create or edit pages, you’ll need the relevant permissions. If you can’t add a page even though you’re the owner, the manager may have turned off this functionality.
What possibilities does Hero add to your communication site?
When you create a communication site, the Hero web part is included in the page by default. The standard image, text and links to be edited are automatically filled out with images, text, pages, URLs or documents.
If you select Topic for the desired type of communication site, the standard Hero layout consists of five tiles that are shown next to each other. You can set up one to five tiles:
If you select Showcase for the desired type of communication site, the standard Hero layout is a vertical layout with three layers. You can set up one to five layers:
You can change the layout of the Hero web part to a grid with vertical layers by using the Edit web part [Knop Webonderdeel bewerken] button. You can also edit the URLs, images and text for every tile or layer with their respective Edit details [Details bewerken] button.
1. Edit web part button
2. Edit details button
How do you change the layout of the Hero web part?
Make sure you’re in edit mode (click Edit to the top right).
Click the Edit web part [Knop Webonderdeel bewerken] button and select the desired layout.
How do you reduce the Hero web part to one column?
The Hero web part was designed to be displayed across the full width of the page. If you prefer not using the full width, you can resize it to a narrower column.
- Make sure you’re in edit mode (click Edit to the top right).
- Move the cursor to just above the Hero web part and click the circled + to the left of the web part.
- Select One column under Section layout.
- Use the Move web part button to the left of the web part to drag Hero to the column you’ve just added.
How do you add an empty Hero web part to a page?
You can add a Hero web part to a page on a team site or a communication site.
- Make sure you’re in edit mode.
- When you place the cursor above or below an existing web part on the page, you’ll see a line with a circled +, like this:
- Click + and select the Hero web part.
- Click the Edit [Knop Webonderdeel bewerken] button of the web part and select the desired layout type.
- Click Select link for every tile you want to edit.
- For each tile in the toolbox, click Select and choose the location where you want to fetch the link.
- Select your image, page or document and click Open.
- Under Image in the toolbox, select the option Custom image or Color only. The option Auto-selected automatically selects an image from the page or document to which you’re linking (if there are images available). Color only is only available for tiled layouts. The colour matches the theme of your site.
- Write alternative text for the image.
- Under Options, you can define additional settings.